Sunday 11 February 2007

Saturday: shopping, photos, editing, flickr


Flyer
Originally uploaded by Joern W.
I went to Odense, (a shortish trip, I live in the suburbs) in order to take my little Nikon 5200 for a spin. When I'd done shopping I went to Brandts in order to see the photographic exhibitions there. I was quite taken with "The Sacred Legacy" but saddened too by its abundantly clear message: we're as a species not terribly good at taking care of other human beings, animals nor the planet itself, for that matter. I wonder if a contemporary Edward Curtis sees fit to come by and photograph our lives before we sink into the waves from the melting ice and snow?

The other part of the exhibition was devoted to a reknowned Danish press photographer, Tage Christensen, who for almost fifty years was active with a Danish newspaper, "Politiken". Great photographer, many stunning and evocative shots in the exhibition.
So inspired I proceeded to do my own shots, outdoors although a bitterly cold sou'easter made it quite a challenge. I stumbled on a couple of boys doing tricks with their skateboards - a godsend for a fledling photographer eager to try out his cameras finesses. At first the boys stopped and took up the usual pose, stiffly, with their boards held up like trophies. I asked them to go on skating, and within a couple of seconds they had completely forgotten me and I was free to shoot away.
Home to a late lunch and then Bach on the CD-player: "Das Wohltemperierte Klavier" in Glenn Goulds masterly rendition - a fitting musical setting for the weeding out I had to do. Inspired by JSB's clarity and stringency I set to work.
Of the whole set of 70+ photos only a few made it past yours truly's scrutinizing. The shot above is one example, click on it to go to flickr should you be so disposed. Regard them as a my first attempt at approaching that most difficult and magical aspect of photography: the unique and elusive moment. Or, more eloquently put by Henri Cartier Bresson, who defines the "decisive moment" thus:
the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organization of forms which gives that event its proper expression."
High standards, but mediocre ones are not worth spending your time on.

It got quite late before I had finished my work, Michel Petrucciani another splendid and magical pianist, accompanied me into the wee hours with his lyrical and energetic style of play. So terribly sad he is no longer with us. Thank God for CDs!

The day ended on a note of wonder: I am constantly baffled by the talent of the flickrites - there are so many talented and tremendously inspiring people out there. Originally I joined flickr because I saw it as a means to get my pics out to friends and family - this it is. But the real strength of flickr is the notion of sharing and community that really drives it all. This is supported by great programmers and other it-savvy people who pitch in to make the whole thing click. Thank you all a gazillion times!!
:)
PS - To my English readers: I'll apologize just once - in this post - for the imperfections in my English. I love the language, but I'll never be fluent in it, sorry.
PPS - To my Danish readers: I write this in English as this is the lingua franca of flickr. Fairly warned be thee: other posts may follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a contemporary Edward Curtis will document you for future humanity.

Since you seem to know Curtis's works, you are sure to like a new documentary on him. THE INDIAN PICTURE OPERA, is a re-creation of his 1911 slide show and lecture. It is on DVD and can be searched out on Amazon.com .

This is an awesome film that goes way past the actual pictures... into the rituals and thoughts.

Highly recommended.