Wednesday 14 February 2007

Language

Readers of my blog will notice I've done a change in to ways: one in terms of layout (I like the wider layout better, a bit more dull, p'haps, stylish for others), but I digress. At the end of the day it's contents that matters(!)
The other change is more profound: I've changed from Danish to English. This is not without reasons or some considerations: A goodish number of my contacts speak and write English (on flickr the lingua franca is English) and the people I know in Denmark all have a fair command of English. That includes my two sons, who both have a strong linguistic instinct (Danish: sprogøre, English: ear for language (I tried to find an expression for the Danish variant, no luck. )). When we're together we frequently lapse into fits of mirth when we pull the stops out and let our fantasy run rampant in our's (and foreign) languages.
I do the change irrespective of the fact, that I never can gain the same command over English as I have over Danish. A number of situations will occur where I cannot express myself as well on a foreign language as on mine, corners will have to be cut and the end-result might not be entirely satisfying, merely usable.
On another note it's also a challenge and I intend to rise to that and give it my very best. I love English, as well as Danish and the glorious, vivacious French language, on which I only have a flimsy grip, alas.
Should any reader of my blog want to comment on the move, feel free to do that in whatever language you master.
:)

No comments: