Monday 19 February 2007

Photography


Spring... in a moment
Originally uploaded by Joern W.
I promised (threatened?) in an earlier post to blog more about photograpy. So be it.
I've been spending a lot of time on flickr lately, I can only recommend other photo-addicts to do the same. flickr is much more than a convenient site for keeping your photos accessible to all and sundry. What to me sets flickr apart is the very powerful tools for cooperation and sharing. As a photographer - talent aside - you get a huge audience for your pics. Do the courtesy of commenting on other peoples photos and soon comments begin to trickle in to your own. This is of course always nice: I'm seen, somebody notices me and what I do!
Some comments are of the "pat-on-the-back" type, where others are more critical in the good sense of the word. If you hunt a bit for it you can get comments on your shots by people, who really are in the know. Thus you're suddenly able to learn from a goodish number of talented people in the field, get feedback on your work and give feedback in kind. I personally enjoy giving critisism - I feel I really have to concentrate in order to evaluate a photo fairly and give useful critisism the photographer (hopefully) can use constructively.
I have been on flickr now for about a month and feel I already have learned a lot. I'm much more aware of what I'm doing when i set about taking a photo. I feel I've just begun a learning process that can go on for as long as I want to partake in it.
On another note, which I will blog a little about in a coming post: I have gotten to know a number of people on flickr already - it seems many flickrites are quite sociable and I feel quite at home among them - have to come by flickr just about each day, in fact!
Thinking visually, juggling with composition, colours and shades, trying to bring out the hidden story in a scene is both a challenge and a joy. The vignette beginning this post is an example of what I do photo-wise these days and demonstrates very well the capabilites of a nimble Nikon Coolpix point and shoot camera.

4 comments:

Elin said...

Hej Jørn!

Oh wow!!

Flot design med bred tekst! Det syntes jeg ser godt ud, og du er altså skreap, for det er sådan jeg har prøvet at få min blog til at se ud, og har opgivet.
Jeg stoppede faktisk med at blogge her, fordi det ikke ville lykkes for mig.
Nu har jeg fundet ud af, hvordan jeg får mine fotos op i 700 p. bredde, men teksten følger ikke med, så jeg har slettet min tekst! Hahaha!

Kan du indsætte fotos her, lige så brede(store) som tekstspalten?

Jørn Wennerstrøm said...

Hej Elin, hyggeligt du kikker forbi. Jeg var ikke helt glad for det forrige, smalle design. Det her er valgt fra Bloggers std. udvalg. Det hedder vist minima stretch. Der er flere designs af samme skuffe.
Du'r mit billede??
:)
Joern

Elin said...

minima stretch! jamen det hedder mit vist også?

Men kan du indsætte et foto der er ligeså bredt som tekst spalten?

:-) elin

Jørn Wennerstrøm said...

Dunno - jeg prøver i aften en gang.
:)
Joern
PS - hvad synes du om min lille vignet?